I have not written in a long time. life has been hectic, full of things that needs to be done or wants to be done. i have little time to reflect and write. trains of thoughts still flood my mind from time to time but as I carry on they fade off or get lost among the list of to-dos.
Art: I have improved some. made a number of prints and at one point was full of hope.
Recently, one serious look at my works caused much disappointment. the quality is going down. quantity went up but seriously, who cares about quantity? I've developed a sort of McDonald art. An easy-pass, catchy type of image that doesn't say much after the 2nd glance. It is a disappointment and I have to work harder. By working harder I don't mean making more prints. i mean making good prints. put more thought and time and heart into each image.
I don't believe in too much control and calculation, or precision such as woodcut prints. Monotype plexi glass printing has become something like developing a relationship with papers and colors. meaning i make one layer, listen to the colors and what they strive to be. then i add another layer and so on with each layer. i understand better how my colors work on certain paper used, as well, what they want to be. which part needs more life, more layers.
Perhaps these days i don't listen enough. i'm impatient. i want images. so i just simply smash colors onto plate and plate onto paper and mindlessly, swifly carry on. it is terrible.
"Desire" took a long time and much struggle. art has to reflect pain and struggle, even if it comes out "calm and soothing." I want my work to reflect something of me, something of others.
No comments:
Post a Comment