Life in Vietnam. Life within the family. Life hanging vegetables and cooking T-shirts. I serve everyone boiled rice for dinner and poached veggies for lunch. I patch up parts of different songs and sing them loud. Somewhere a rooster crows along in rhythm. and the dogs howl, out of rhythm. those dogs, they never have any sense of rhythm.
Tomorrow a group of nuns from a nearby temple move in next door. They wear gray and keep to themselves. They will see me swirl on the roof and shake their heads. Poor creature, she's losing it. but I'll keep right on swirling.
Tomorrow I will gather the raindrops and sow them into a long necklace. so long that it'll wind around my neck twice. and when it sparkles the nuns will burst into laughter.
Tomorrow I will line those scrambling cockroaches up and teach them how to march. and they will march in perfect lines when you come. You will be astonished.
Today I am wearing a spring dress. It billows under the fan and I feel like a fresh daffodil. You, you will be walking through the dried autumn leaves, and they will crunch my thoughts under your feet. but you wouldn't understand. you'd simply walk on.
No comments:
Post a Comment