Friday, May 23

Stayed at the Rail until 10 today and read a little about Robert Rauschenberg. Would have liked to stay and finish reading the book but had to leave for Linde's birthday bash. I am looking forward to moving into the office. It is such a wonderful place to read and write, Jed has gotten a lot of work done the past week apparently. I want to swallow as much as possible before leaving this city. I'm so behind, so so behind. I am struck every single day at how little I know about anything out there...

Phong surprisingly has been keeping up with the healthy lifestyle. no smoking. no drinking. 2 cups of coffee a day. and home made sandwiches. amazing. yes, now i believe he meant it - the human will.

Walter came in and basically spent the afternoon advising me on what kind of camcorder to get. i really want one and I think will get one before leaving. i also want a projector. it is insane judging on how much stuffs i already have but long term wise it is necessary, especially the camcorder.

Lu came in after office hour to use the computer. i sometimes have problem talking to her still, especially on issues relating to China. it is very hard to talk. she becomes very defensive. but yes, she works hard, tries hard. tries very hard in fact. it is something i respect so we get along fine. we're not made of the same material so it is not a natural click and run kind of relationship but strangely, sometimes i look at her and i feel a wave of endearment. she tries so hard.

Linde's party was quite nice. But to be honest, it is hard, meeting people you sort of know but aren't really friends with. it takes so much effort to make conversations. and the conversations are so repetitive and superficial. it's like pressing a recorded tape and watch yourself repeat through the whole introduction dialogue again and again, knowing you're probably not going to see them or become any better friends after this. it drives me crazy - this kind of interaction. Thank god Jo and Chesley are there.

No comments: